As the darkness of winter receded and the evening skies slowly brightened, older generations sometimes spoke of the day stretching by a rooster’s step — tá coiscéim coiligh ar an lá. Reclaimed from the night, the incremental lengthening of the days held promise of better times to come, of hopeful new beginnings. Over the past few years we too have scanned the horizon for signs of brightening skies, for some promise born in light. Now at last, as the days brighten, the world begins again.
As well as tunes drawn from the long established collections such as those of Bunting, Donnellan and Goodman, the album also includes traditional-style tunes by more contemporary composers like Damien Connolly, Richie Dwyer, James Kelly, Dónal McCague, Michael McCague, Johnny Óg Connolly, Ed Reavy, Seán Ryan and John Sheahan. The songs are all drawn from the traditional canon: the Carolan/Petrie translation of The Snowy Breated Pearl, Percy French’s Eileen Óg and Séamas Ó Muircheartaigh’s Oileán Dhún an Óir along with Eochaill which was printed in Hardiman’s Irish Minstrelsy, London in 1831.
- Ar Mhuin na Muice / Cairo Barry / Garranmore / Hunter Billy’s (Reels)
- The Snowy-Breasted Pearl (Song)
- Paddy from Aghera / Bottle of Cop On / Kitty Seán Cunningham’s (Slow Reels / Barndance)
- Greta’s Favourite / Grist for the Mill / Ríl Johnny Phádraig Pheter (Reels)
- Eileen Óg (Song)
- The Women of Monaghan / Nancy Hynes’ / Tap the Barrel (Jigs)
- Among Friends / Hornpipe No. 139 / The Staten Island (March / Hornpipe / Slow Reel)
- Oileán Dhún an Óir (Amhrán / Song)
- The Cauliflower / Tom Busby’s / A Tribute to Jim (Jigs)
- Eochaill (Amhrán / Song)
- Farewell to Stoneybatter / An Raibh Tú ag an gCarraig / March at Kilmore (Jig / Air / March)
- Paddy Ryan’s Dream / The Winding Roads of Advance / Danny Meehan’s / Tim Fitzpatrick’s (Reels)
Oisín Mac Diarmada – fiddle
Paul Finn – button accordion
Damien Stenson – flute
Seán Mc Elwain – guitar/bouzouki
Tristan Rosenstock – bodhrán
Samantha Harvey – keyboard
Séamus Begley – vocals/button accordion (Tracks 2, 5, 8, 10)
John C. Reilly – vocals (Track 5)
The album is available from https://teada.com/store as a download for €9.99 or as a CD plus download for €20.
For further background to the making of the album see: https://fonn.online/2022/04/24/anotherfine/.